The Government published a Green Paper on December 4th and has announced plans which will enable children and young people in England to access mental health support at school or college.
The proposals will introduce:
- a mental health lead in every school by 2025
- new mental health support teams working in schools
- trials of a four-week waiting time for youngsters needing specialist support
- pupils being taught about mental health and wellbeing as part of improved relationship education and PSHE lessons
- mental health awareness training in every primary and secondary school
This is an encouraging step forward and we hope that it leads to the development of a long term strategy investing in the wellbeing and mental health of all children and young people and staff, as we set out in our Education section.